Only the newly developed PubMan repository will continue to be operated in the medium term. All content currently stored in eDoc will also be available there. Detailed information on the two repositories is provided on their websites.
Benefits for the Scientific Public and the Public at Large
Members of the Max Planck Society make a broad spectrum of scientific publications and other materials available free of charge to the public at large and the scientific public through the repositories.
In doing so, they increase the ability of the scientific public to participate in scientific discourse irrespective of what the scientific publishing houses make available at a cost. The public at large can obtain an insight into the results of publicly funded research. The growing availability of scientific publications via research institutesâ repositories means that a constantly increasing collection of scientific knowledge is made accessible to new analysis methods (e.g. data mining). This increases research efficiency.
Benefits for Members of the Max Planck Society
With its central repositories, the Max Planck Society provides its staff a place to permanently store and manage their publication data, to add supplementary materials and make the data available to other web services.
The development of PubMan enabled a substantial expansion of the limited eDoc service offerings.
Max Planck Scientists
- Have the possibility to store all of their publication within one system.
- Can add other materials (e.g. research data) to their saved publications.
- Enhance the visibility and permanent presence of their scientific research findings through
- The links between the MPS repositories and search engines and the addition of metadata, which is important in this context and which largely determines the visibility.
- The dynamic generation of publication records for inclusion in personal websites (see for instance the homepage of scientist Reinhold von Sengbusch).
- Furnishing the content with (persistent identifiers), which facilitate reliable linking.
Max Planck Institutes
- Compile institute-specific publication records and collections.
- Integrate automatically generated publication records in their institute websites.
The Max Planck Society
- Facilitates Open Access publishing for its authors by providing enhanced services via PubMan.
- Makes a comprehensive âdigital memoryâ of the whole institution publicly available in a permanently accessible repository.
Please click here for a detailed overview of the PubMan features currently implemented.